Thursday, April 22, 2010

Manly Knitting.

This scarf was a mere WIP (work in progress... Hahaha! Knitting acronym) back here: http://craftystudents.blogspot.com/2010/01/college-knitting.html I made it for my severely awesome amigo Niall who is kindly being my man-hunk model below.

The scarf consists of a classic vertical drop of knit two purl two in my much-loved lamb's pride worsted. Always a winner!

Knitting for a man is a difficult task to undertake I believe. You never know if they'll like it. They are fussy in ways that most women I know could never be! You have to get it right or else the fruits of your labour will lie in a crumpled heap under a pile of smelly socks at the back of a wardrobe that hasn't been cleaned since lord knows when. There's nothing more disappointing than spending hours making something and then never seeing the recipient wearing it. Most frustrating thing a knitwit like myself can experience.



I think that when knitting for a man, the most important thing is to keep it nice and simple. I am usually a huge fan of little embellishments on a normal basis. But on this occasion I had to put that aside to make something wearable. I don't think a man would appreciate a little smiling heart or a cluster of woolen flowers in the same way that I would! Also, the wool is super important. Most of the men I know are far too blunt to sport a horrifically itchy woolen wonder even once or twice for the sake of your feelings. There's a science to this I say!

Now that I have inducted Niall into the world of knitting by making him a scarf maybe I can take his knit-witted-ness to the next level and teach him to knit... Now there's a plan!

Apologies for the current spell of inactivity in knit-wit land. Summer exams are approaching and we both have an entire semesters work to cram into two weeks. Lamentably, crafting must reside on the back burner until the old zim-zams are finished... *sigh*

Have a great weekend.
Le grá,
Bríd x

No comments:

Post a Comment